Tuesday, July 3, 2007

On the beach - now with photos!



My beautiful beachfront room. $21/night - que ganga!




Sunset...




Yet on further reflection, not perhaps the best choice for productivity. Poor Lauren had to work in this airless chamber. I just asked the staff to pop my laptop in the fridge every now and again as it severely overheated in the constant 100-degree humidity.



You will have to open this one at full size to see anything. This is a photo of the drywall peeling away from the wall just below my window to reveal a bat nest inside. I like bats (they eat mosquitos!) but thoughtfully refrained from mentioning anything to my travel companions until just now.

Alas, I do not have any pictures of the fireworks (yes, fireworks!) We shared our hotel with a large church group from the US... and since the 4th of July fell during our stay, and they were not only religious, but Texan, and thus ultra-patriotic... they commissioned a fireworks show on the beach! Unexpected, but cool. As a matter of fact Lauren and I felt so touched we just had to sing a round of "The Star Spangled Banner" to Jeanette in our hotel room.

....

We are now in a beautiful beach town (I'll call it "Playa Escondida" in hopes of forestalling waves of high-rise hotels) writing our final report. It is lovely, exactly what you dream about when you're dreaming of Central American beaches: frothy white waves, turquoise blue water, palm trees, friendly dogs, and just a few simple cabins scattered among the fishermen's houses.

Yet because it is so small and undeveloped, internet access is slooooow, so no photos until we're back in the city!

P.S. There's an old Nicaraguan saying that goes, "You only know who your true friends are when they take the time to comment on your blog..."

3 comments:

dgossett said...

ok, ok, we'll comment! ;)

XOXOXO,
D

Michele said...

Now I feel guilty! I read your blog all the time. You're a great writer and excellent source of information. Keep up the good work!
Michele Kunis (Lauren's mom)

Erica said...

No need to feel guilty, Michele, Lauren passes along your comments all the time!